St. James' Mill Creek parishioners spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ through a diversity of ministries and mission work. From knitting shawls that provide comfort in sad times to helping homeless children and families through Family Promise, there are so many opportunities to get involved and make a difference – not only in others' lives but in your own.
If you are interested or want more information, please contact email@example.com. To learn more, toggle on each ministry area below.
The Ministries of St. James'
The Altar Guild has the privilege of preparing the altar for every service. Our members are assigned to teams. The teams rotate responsibilities following a monthly schedule. Each team has a designated captain who coordinates their monthly responsibilities. We welcome and are available to train new members at any time during the year.
St. James Mill Creek and its parishioners have played an active role in the ministry of Family Promise of Northern New Castle County since its launch in March 2010. Family Promise of Northern New Castle County is a non-profit, 501(c) 3 organization that prevents and ends homelessness for families by engaging faith-based congregations, volunteers, and donors.
The St. James’ Flower Guild strives to enhance the beauty of our worship space by providing attractive floral arrangements for the altar each Sunday as well as special seasonal arrangements throughout the church year, all to the glory of God. The Guild also facilitates the ordering of altar arrangements for both weddings and funerals.
It is in serving others that God’s love is spread to the world. St. James’ also has many other outreach programs such as:
- Adopt-a-Student and Adopt-a family – The Adopt-A Family Christmas program provides a means for those less fortunate to give and receive Christmas presents. We also support the Adopt-A-Student program, which gives schools supplies to those in need.
- The Food Closet – The first Sunday of each month we bring non-perishable food items for those in need.
- Meals on Wheels
- Prison Sundries Collection – On a monthly basis we supply sundries to the Dolores J. Baylor Women's Correctional Facility to provide for some of the needs of the inmates there. We also take a Christmas service to the prison on a Saturday in December close to the holiday.
- Pennies for Church Periodicals for education – We collect pennies each week to go to the Miles of Pennies program which supplies written materials to school age youth around the world.
- Pop tab collection for Ronald McDonald House
- Salvation Army Red Kettle Drive
- Youth Mission Projects – For more information, see the Youth page.
Members of the shawl ministry knit or crochet shawls to comfort others. The St. James’ congregation supplies the names of people in need, and who donate money to the shawl ministry. The shawls are knit with prayer and blessed at the altar of St. James’ before they go to a recipient.
A dedicated corps of volunteers includes those who serve as members of the Altar Guild and Flower Committee, lay readers, acolytes, ushers, and the choir. The Worship Life Ministry Team, which includes representatives of these ministries, met several times last year with Father Bimbi to plan out seasonal worship and to discuss and upcoming changes. Looking ahead, the Team will be working on a variety of special worship services during the parish’s tercentennial year, including planning the Holy Eucharist for the Diocesan Convention and hosting the Bishop and clergy of the diocese during Holy Week for their service of the Renewal of Ordination Vows.